The UMKC Summer Debate Institute offers instruction in competitive debate to students of high school age. The camp is open to students at all levels of experience, from novice (no experience) to multiple years of competitive experience.
Costs / Fees
2 Week Camps
2 Week Residential - $1600
2-Week Commuter - $900
Commuter Meal Plan (Lunch & Dinner) - $240
Commuter Parking Pass - TBD
Instruction is provided 9am-8pm each day with an hour break for lunch and an hour break for dinner.
Students will receive instruction on debate theory, concepts and the topic.
- Learn about the specific Policy or LD topic.
- Learn basic argumentation skills.
- Learn advanced debate concepts & theory.
- Learn judge & audience adaptation skills.
Students will have opportunity for extensive practice speeches and rounds.
- Practice speeches and redos in front of qualified coaches and instructors.
- Practice rounds against other members of their lab throughout the camp.
- Camp tournament at the conclusion of the camp.
Assistant Director of Debate at the University of Missouri - Kansas City. Andy has coached teams at all levels from middle school to college. In 2016, Andy coached the Cross-Examination Debate Association Runners-up, and National Debate Tournaments quarterfinalists.
4-Week Lab Instructor
Assistant Director of Debate at The Barstow School. Lucia has led the 4-week lab for 5 years. She has coached middle school through College with great success at each level. Lucia's teams have won multiple tournaments and received several bids to the HS Tournament of Champions.
Current debater at UMKC. Parker is a National Debate Tournament qualifier and CEDA Nationals elimination round participant.. Parker has coached High School teams for several years. He has been a lab instructor for 2 years.